Foodpedia Official

Beef Italian Cuisine Tips and Techniques

The Great Flank Steak Roulade Experiment

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 By TheRocky 0 Comments
I don�t remember exactly why, but for the longest time I�ve wanted to try stuffing and braising a beef flank steak, and this very brociale-like roulade was the result. And while the outside was an unsightly mess of frayed meat fiber, the overall dish was a delicious success.

Braising a flank steak seems counterintuitive since it�s almost always cooked briefly and served medium-rare, but so is top-sirloin, and I�ve used that cut for beef roulade before, and it worked fine. Flank steak is also one of the �beefiest� cuts on a cow, and has a decent amount of fat, so I felt pretty confident going in.

The only thing I hadn�t considered was the appearance, and that ended up being my only real complaint. Because flank steak has such large, pronounced meat fibers, after a few hours of simmering, my roulade had a bad case of split ends. As I mention in the video, we may try and wrap the meat with some type of protective layer, and by protective, I mean fatty.

Other than that, it was a fairly straightforward procedure. Feel free to stuff with anything you like (just not too much), and the same goes for the braising liquid. No matter what you decide to simmer this in, once you�re done, simply reduce it, and use it as a sauce. That means be careful with the salt. I generously salted the roulade, so I didn�t need to heavily season the braising liquid as well. Best to adjust that later.

Anyway, whether you use my specific ingredients or not, I hope you give this technique a try soon. All you need is a flank steak, a sharp, thin knife, and you�re ready to roll. Enjoy!


Ingredients:
1 trimmed beef flank steak, butterflied, and pounded flat (please note: you must cut and roll the meat in the exact way shown, so the grain is going the right way for slicing!)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp black currants
1/4 cup plain breadcrumbs
2 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
1 ounce pancetta, slice into thin strips
2 tbsp finely-grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
For the braising liquid, I used:
3/4 cup white wine
3 cups tomato sauce
2 cups chicken broth
1 bay leaf
enough water to just cover
Beef
Share:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna.

Related Articles


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Popular Posts

  • Chicken, Sausage, Peppers, and Potatoes � Name That Dish!
    It�s kind of nice when the name of a recipe is simply what�s in it, as is the case with this pan of roasted chicken, sausage, peppers, and p...
  • How to Make Berbere Spice and What to Do with It (Partial List)
    I love berbere spice, but it never occurred to me to make my own. I usually get it pre-mixed from the fancy grocery store, and it�s never di...
  • �Gazpacho Verde� with Burrata Cheese � Swampy, in a Good Way
    I�m not crazy about the name for this recipe, but I honestly didn�t know what else to call it, and I blame Twitter for that. Allow me to exp...
  • Homemade Sriracha � A Hot Sauce Worth Crowing About!
    If I had a dollar for every �I can�t find Sriracha, what can I use instead?� email I�ve received, I could eat at every Thai restaurant in to...
  • Cider-Braised Pork Cheeks � Eating with a Grin
    Sometimes when I�m really bored, I�ll sit around trying to think up fake Mark Twain food quotations. For example, �The best beef stew I ever...
  • Heading South to Tri Tip Nirvana
    We're just about to leave for Santa Maria, California for a weekend expedition to research and report on this area's famous (borderl...
  • Thai-Dipped Beef Tri Tip � Satay, Unskewered
    There are so many examples of big foods being re-imagined into smaller, bite-sized versions, but going the other direction is not nearly as ...
  • Black Pepper Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Black Cherry Reduction
    This succulent dish has all the things I love in a recipe; an easy piece of meat to work with, a super simple sauce that tastes like somethi...
  • Fried Peanut Butter & Jelly Pinchy Pies � One Chef's White Trash is Another's White Treasure
    I was doing some research on shrimp toast for an upcoming video, and I became obsessed with the thought of frying things on white bread, whi...
  • A Pickled Peck of Padron Peppers - Twist Your Tongue with Flavor
    While I was at the inaugural Atlanta Food & Wine Festival a few weeks ago, I attended a demo by Donald Link, on the topic of working wit...

Labels

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

TAGS

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler
Powered by Blogger.

Text widget

Contributors

TheRocky
View my complete profile

Popular Posts

  • Chicken, Sausage, Peppers, and Potatoes � Name That Dish!
    It�s kind of nice when the name of a recipe is simply what�s in it, as is the case with this pan of roasted chicken, sausage, peppers, and p...
  • How to Make Berbere Spice and What to Do with It (Partial List)
    I love berbere spice, but it never occurred to me to make my own. I usually get it pre-mixed from the fancy grocery store, and it�s never di...
  • �Gazpacho Verde� with Burrata Cheese � Swampy, in a Good Way
    I�m not crazy about the name for this recipe, but I honestly didn�t know what else to call it, and I blame Twitter for that. Allow me to exp...
  • Homemade Sriracha � A Hot Sauce Worth Crowing About!
    If I had a dollar for every �I can�t find Sriracha, what can I use instead?� email I�ve received, I could eat at every Thai restaurant in to...
  • Cider-Braised Pork Cheeks � Eating with a Grin
    Sometimes when I�m really bored, I�ll sit around trying to think up fake Mark Twain food quotations. For example, �The best beef stew I ever...
  • Heading South to Tri Tip Nirvana
    We're just about to leave for Santa Maria, California for a weekend expedition to research and report on this area's famous (borderl...
  • Thai-Dipped Beef Tri Tip � Satay, Unskewered
    There are so many examples of big foods being re-imagined into smaller, bite-sized versions, but going the other direction is not nearly as ...
  • Black Pepper Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Black Cherry Reduction
    This succulent dish has all the things I love in a recipe; an easy piece of meat to work with, a super simple sauce that tastes like somethi...
  • Fried Peanut Butter & Jelly Pinchy Pies � One Chef's White Trash is Another's White Treasure
    I was doing some research on shrimp toast for an upcoming video, and I became obsessed with the thought of frying things on white bread, whi...
  • A Pickled Peck of Padron Peppers - Twist Your Tongue with Flavor
    While I was at the inaugural Atlanta Food & Wine Festival a few weeks ago, I attended a demo by Donald Link, on the topic of working wit...

Category

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler

Labels

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler
© 2017 Foodpedia Official | All rights reserved
Created By Responsive Blogger Templates