Foodpedia Official

Potato Side Dish

Syracuse Salt Potatoes � Lot's Wife Would Have Loved These

Thursday, March 13, 2014 By TheRocky 0 Comments
Not only is this Syracuse salt potatoes recipe one of the most delicious ways to cook baby spuds, it�s also one of the most interesting. I generally don�t like when people watch me cook their food, you know, in case anything gets dropped (#5secondrule), but these are kind of fun to do in front of guests; just to see that look of shock in their eyes, as you dump in all that salt. Amazingly, only a small amount of salt gets inside the potatoes, and by �small amount,� I mean �perfect amount.� 

This recipe really takes the guesswork out of seasoning. Of course, I could go into all the science behind why these don�t absorb too much salt, but that would mean having to learn it first, and then figure out how to explain it, which sounds like an awful lot of work. Instead, I�ll let my intrepid readers take wild guesses.

I mention in the video that these were invented by Irish salt miners, which is true, except I don�t think they used actual mines, but salt pools instead. Apparently digging is a lot harder than waiting for water to evaporate. Regardless, they used this abundant supply of salt to boil less-than-perfect quality new potatoes, and the rest is culinary history.

Regarding the amount of salt, I used a ratio of 1 cup of kosher salt to 5 cups of water. Believe it or not, this is actually less than traditionally used. Hey, we all don�t have salt factories in our backyards. A cup of the brand I use weighs about 6 ounces, which means if you�re using regular, fine table salt, you�ll need just over a half-cup to get the same amount of salt.

Anyway, other than having to sponge-up some salt speckles from the stovetop, this recipe is fast, easy, and truly unique. So, if you want to serve something this St. Paddy�s Day that truly celebrates Irish-American heritage, then I hope you give these salt potatoes a try. Enjoy!



Ingredients for 6 servings:
2 pounds of small new potatoes, scrubbed
5 cups of water
1 cup Kosher salt
melted butter
Potato
Share:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna.

Related Articles


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Popular Posts

  • Chicken, Sausage, Peppers, and Potatoes � Name That Dish!
    It�s kind of nice when the name of a recipe is simply what�s in it, as is the case with this pan of roasted chicken, sausage, peppers, and p...
  • How to Make Berbere Spice and What to Do with It (Partial List)
    I love berbere spice, but it never occurred to me to make my own. I usually get it pre-mixed from the fancy grocery store, and it�s never di...
  • �Gazpacho Verde� with Burrata Cheese � Swampy, in a Good Way
    I�m not crazy about the name for this recipe, but I honestly didn�t know what else to call it, and I blame Twitter for that. Allow me to exp...
  • Homemade Sriracha � A Hot Sauce Worth Crowing About!
    If I had a dollar for every �I can�t find Sriracha, what can I use instead?� email I�ve received, I could eat at every Thai restaurant in to...
  • Cider-Braised Pork Cheeks � Eating with a Grin
    Sometimes when I�m really bored, I�ll sit around trying to think up fake Mark Twain food quotations. For example, �The best beef stew I ever...
  • Heading South to Tri Tip Nirvana
    We're just about to leave for Santa Maria, California for a weekend expedition to research and report on this area's famous (borderl...
  • Thai-Dipped Beef Tri Tip � Satay, Unskewered
    There are so many examples of big foods being re-imagined into smaller, bite-sized versions, but going the other direction is not nearly as ...
  • Black Pepper Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Black Cherry Reduction
    This succulent dish has all the things I love in a recipe; an easy piece of meat to work with, a super simple sauce that tastes like somethi...
  • Fried Peanut Butter & Jelly Pinchy Pies � One Chef's White Trash is Another's White Treasure
    I was doing some research on shrimp toast for an upcoming video, and I became obsessed with the thought of frying things on white bread, whi...
  • Grilled Halibut Steaks with Corn and White Chanterelles � Finally, a More Fashionable "Surf and Turf"
    Excuse me for generalizing, but whenever I hear the term, "surf and turf," I think of a small bland filet mignon sitting next to a...

Labels

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

TAGS

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler
Powered by Blogger.

Text widget

Contributors

TheRocky
View my complete profile

Popular Posts

  • Chicken, Sausage, Peppers, and Potatoes � Name That Dish!
    It�s kind of nice when the name of a recipe is simply what�s in it, as is the case with this pan of roasted chicken, sausage, peppers, and p...
  • How to Make Berbere Spice and What to Do with It (Partial List)
    I love berbere spice, but it never occurred to me to make my own. I usually get it pre-mixed from the fancy grocery store, and it�s never di...
  • �Gazpacho Verde� with Burrata Cheese � Swampy, in a Good Way
    I�m not crazy about the name for this recipe, but I honestly didn�t know what else to call it, and I blame Twitter for that. Allow me to exp...
  • Homemade Sriracha � A Hot Sauce Worth Crowing About!
    If I had a dollar for every �I can�t find Sriracha, what can I use instead?� email I�ve received, I could eat at every Thai restaurant in to...
  • Cider-Braised Pork Cheeks � Eating with a Grin
    Sometimes when I�m really bored, I�ll sit around trying to think up fake Mark Twain food quotations. For example, �The best beef stew I ever...
  • Heading South to Tri Tip Nirvana
    We're just about to leave for Santa Maria, California for a weekend expedition to research and report on this area's famous (borderl...
  • Thai-Dipped Beef Tri Tip � Satay, Unskewered
    There are so many examples of big foods being re-imagined into smaller, bite-sized versions, but going the other direction is not nearly as ...
  • Black Pepper Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Black Cherry Reduction
    This succulent dish has all the things I love in a recipe; an easy piece of meat to work with, a super simple sauce that tastes like somethi...
  • Fried Peanut Butter & Jelly Pinchy Pies � One Chef's White Trash is Another's White Treasure
    I was doing some research on shrimp toast for an upcoming video, and I became obsessed with the thought of frying things on white bread, whi...
  • Grilled Halibut Steaks with Corn and White Chanterelles � Finally, a More Fashionable "Surf and Turf"
    Excuse me for generalizing, but whenever I hear the term, "surf and turf," I think of a small bland filet mignon sitting next to a...

Category

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler

Labels

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler
© 2017 Foodpedia Official | All rights reserved
Created By Responsive Blogger Templates