Foodpedia Official

Dessert

Gingerbread Cake with Lemon Glaze � A Not-So-Secret Christmas Tradition

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 By TheRocky 0 Comments
Unlike some families, we don�t have a set-in-stone Christmas dinner menu. It really varies year to year. We�ve tried just about every holiday roast imaginable, and I don�t think we�ve even had the exact same side dishes twice, but when it comes to dessert, that�s a whole other story.

The meal must end with this gingerbread cake and it�s glistening lemon glaze. My wife Michele makes this every year, and uses a recipe she adapted from the Silver Palate Cookbook, which despite being very simple, always gets rave reviews.

Of course, she adds a few secret, extra-exotic ingredients (I can�t confirm or deny that one is cardamom), which I didn�t use here, but I�ve always believed married couples should have there own unique gingerbread cake recipes, and mine features a little dash of Chinese five-spice instead.

Was it as good as Michele�s annual Christmas offering? Of course not (see why I�ve stayed happily married for 22 holidays?), but it was very delicious, and I�m sure you�d thoroughly enjoy it. So, if you�re looking for a new addition to your holiday dessert table, I hope you give this a try. Enjoy!


Gingerbread ingredients for one 8 or 9-in square cake:
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour (8-oz by weight)
1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 rounded teaspoons ground ginger (3 if you like it spicier)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup dark molasses
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup boiling water
*Bake at 350�F or about 35 minutes.
For the glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon zest
Dessert
Share:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna.

Related Articles


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Popular Posts

  • Chicken, Sausage, Peppers, and Potatoes � Name That Dish!
    It�s kind of nice when the name of a recipe is simply what�s in it, as is the case with this pan of roasted chicken, sausage, peppers, and p...
  • �Gazpacho Verde� with Burrata Cheese � Swampy, in a Good Way
    I�m not crazy about the name for this recipe, but I honestly didn�t know what else to call it, and I blame Twitter for that. Allow me to exp...
  • Heading South to Tri Tip Nirvana
    We're just about to leave for Santa Maria, California for a weekend expedition to research and report on this area's famous (borderl...
  • Thai-Dipped Beef Tri Tip � Satay, Unskewered
    There are so many examples of big foods being re-imagined into smaller, bite-sized versions, but going the other direction is not nearly as ...
  • Black Pepper Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Black Cherry Reduction
    This succulent dish has all the things I love in a recipe; an easy piece of meat to work with, a super simple sauce that tastes like somethi...
  • Fried Peanut Butter & Jelly Pinchy Pies � One Chef's White Trash is Another's White Treasure
    I was doing some research on shrimp toast for an upcoming video, and I became obsessed with the thought of frying things on white bread, whi...
  • How to Make Berbere Spice and What to Do with It (Partial List)
    I love berbere spice, but it never occurred to me to make my own. I usually get it pre-mixed from the fancy grocery store, and it�s never di...
  • Grilled Halibut Steaks with Corn and White Chanterelles � Finally, a More Fashionable "Surf and Turf"
    Excuse me for generalizing, but whenever I hear the term, "surf and turf," I think of a small bland filet mignon sitting next to a...
  • Homemade Sriracha � A Hot Sauce Worth Crowing About!
    If I had a dollar for every �I can�t find Sriracha, what can I use instead?� email I�ve received, I could eat at every Thai restaurant in to...
  • Cider-Braised Pork Cheeks � Eating with a Grin
    Sometimes when I�m really bored, I�ll sit around trying to think up fake Mark Twain food quotations. For example, �The best beef stew I ever...

Labels

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

TAGS

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler
Powered by Blogger.

Text widget

Contributors

TheRocky
View my complete profile

Popular Posts

  • Chicken, Sausage, Peppers, and Potatoes � Name That Dish!
    It�s kind of nice when the name of a recipe is simply what�s in it, as is the case with this pan of roasted chicken, sausage, peppers, and p...
  • �Gazpacho Verde� with Burrata Cheese � Swampy, in a Good Way
    I�m not crazy about the name for this recipe, but I honestly didn�t know what else to call it, and I blame Twitter for that. Allow me to exp...
  • Heading South to Tri Tip Nirvana
    We're just about to leave for Santa Maria, California for a weekend expedition to research and report on this area's famous (borderl...
  • Thai-Dipped Beef Tri Tip � Satay, Unskewered
    There are so many examples of big foods being re-imagined into smaller, bite-sized versions, but going the other direction is not nearly as ...
  • Black Pepper Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Black Cherry Reduction
    This succulent dish has all the things I love in a recipe; an easy piece of meat to work with, a super simple sauce that tastes like somethi...
  • Fried Peanut Butter & Jelly Pinchy Pies � One Chef's White Trash is Another's White Treasure
    I was doing some research on shrimp toast for an upcoming video, and I became obsessed with the thought of frying things on white bread, whi...
  • How to Make Berbere Spice and What to Do with It (Partial List)
    I love berbere spice, but it never occurred to me to make my own. I usually get it pre-mixed from the fancy grocery store, and it�s never di...
  • Grilled Halibut Steaks with Corn and White Chanterelles � Finally, a More Fashionable "Surf and Turf"
    Excuse me for generalizing, but whenever I hear the term, "surf and turf," I think of a small bland filet mignon sitting next to a...
  • Homemade Sriracha � A Hot Sauce Worth Crowing About!
    If I had a dollar for every �I can�t find Sriracha, what can I use instead?� email I�ve received, I could eat at every Thai restaurant in to...
  • Cider-Braised Pork Cheeks � Eating with a Grin
    Sometimes when I�m really bored, I�ll sit around trying to think up fake Mark Twain food quotations. For example, �The best beef stew I ever...

Category

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler

Labels

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler
© 2017 Foodpedia Official | All rights reserved
Created By Responsive Blogger Templates