Foodpedia Official

Breakfast

Life Before IHOP - Hi, My Name's Johnny, and These Are My Cakes

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 By TheRocky 0 Comments
You've just been transported back to colonial America. You've been up since dawn, doing colonial stuff, and you're hungry for breakfast. You open the cupboard to grab a couple of Pop-Tarts to toss in the fireplace. There are no Pop-Tarts. You decide to settle for some pancakes, and reach for the Bisquick. There's no Bisquick. Okay, you decide to make your own pancakes from scratch. You check for the flour and baking powder. Again, you are denied. The only thing you have is ground corn and water. What do ye do�what do ye do?

Make Johnnycakes!
This video recipe, I did recently for About.com, shows how to make America's first pancake, the Johnnycake. Nowadays, the Johnnycake is nothing more than a regular pancake batter with a little cornmeal sprinkled in, but that's not what it used to be. I decided to stay true to the earliest johnnycake recipes I could find, which were just fried cornmeal gruel. The Indians showed the early settlers how to make a basic cornmeal mush, which pretty much kept them alive in the early days, before Pop-Tarts. Well, if you have leftover cornmeal mush around, and some bacon fat, and a frying pan, you can turn that cornmeal into the surprisingly delicious Johnnycakes. Check out this video recipe, and experience what breakfast was like 300 years ago. Enjoy.
Click here for the transcript and ingredients.
Breakfast
Share:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna.

Related Articles


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Popular Posts

  • Chicken, Sausage, Peppers, and Potatoes � Name That Dish!
    It�s kind of nice when the name of a recipe is simply what�s in it, as is the case with this pan of roasted chicken, sausage, peppers, and p...
  • How to Make Berbere Spice and What to Do with It (Partial List)
    I love berbere spice, but it never occurred to me to make my own. I usually get it pre-mixed from the fancy grocery store, and it�s never di...
  • �Gazpacho Verde� with Burrata Cheese � Swampy, in a Good Way
    I�m not crazy about the name for this recipe, but I honestly didn�t know what else to call it, and I blame Twitter for that. Allow me to exp...
  • Homemade Sriracha � A Hot Sauce Worth Crowing About!
    If I had a dollar for every �I can�t find Sriracha, what can I use instead?� email I�ve received, I could eat at every Thai restaurant in to...
  • Cider-Braised Pork Cheeks � Eating with a Grin
    Sometimes when I�m really bored, I�ll sit around trying to think up fake Mark Twain food quotations. For example, �The best beef stew I ever...
  • Heading South to Tri Tip Nirvana
    We're just about to leave for Santa Maria, California for a weekend expedition to research and report on this area's famous (borderl...
  • Thai-Dipped Beef Tri Tip � Satay, Unskewered
    There are so many examples of big foods being re-imagined into smaller, bite-sized versions, but going the other direction is not nearly as ...
  • Black Pepper Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Black Cherry Reduction
    This succulent dish has all the things I love in a recipe; an easy piece of meat to work with, a super simple sauce that tastes like somethi...
  • Fried Peanut Butter & Jelly Pinchy Pies � One Chef's White Trash is Another's White Treasure
    I was doing some research on shrimp toast for an upcoming video, and I became obsessed with the thought of frying things on white bread, whi...
  • A Pickled Peck of Padron Peppers - Twist Your Tongue with Flavor
    While I was at the inaugural Atlanta Food & Wine Festival a few weeks ago, I attended a demo by Donald Link, on the topic of working wit...

Labels

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

TAGS

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler
Powered by Blogger.

Text widget

Contributors

TheRocky
View my complete profile

Popular Posts

  • Chicken, Sausage, Peppers, and Potatoes � Name That Dish!
    It�s kind of nice when the name of a recipe is simply what�s in it, as is the case with this pan of roasted chicken, sausage, peppers, and p...
  • How to Make Berbere Spice and What to Do with It (Partial List)
    I love berbere spice, but it never occurred to me to make my own. I usually get it pre-mixed from the fancy grocery store, and it�s never di...
  • �Gazpacho Verde� with Burrata Cheese � Swampy, in a Good Way
    I�m not crazy about the name for this recipe, but I honestly didn�t know what else to call it, and I blame Twitter for that. Allow me to exp...
  • Homemade Sriracha � A Hot Sauce Worth Crowing About!
    If I had a dollar for every �I can�t find Sriracha, what can I use instead?� email I�ve received, I could eat at every Thai restaurant in to...
  • Cider-Braised Pork Cheeks � Eating with a Grin
    Sometimes when I�m really bored, I�ll sit around trying to think up fake Mark Twain food quotations. For example, �The best beef stew I ever...
  • Heading South to Tri Tip Nirvana
    We're just about to leave for Santa Maria, California for a weekend expedition to research and report on this area's famous (borderl...
  • Thai-Dipped Beef Tri Tip � Satay, Unskewered
    There are so many examples of big foods being re-imagined into smaller, bite-sized versions, but going the other direction is not nearly as ...
  • Black Pepper Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Black Cherry Reduction
    This succulent dish has all the things I love in a recipe; an easy piece of meat to work with, a super simple sauce that tastes like somethi...
  • Fried Peanut Butter & Jelly Pinchy Pies � One Chef's White Trash is Another's White Treasure
    I was doing some research on shrimp toast for an upcoming video, and I became obsessed with the thought of frying things on white bread, whi...
  • A Pickled Peck of Padron Peppers - Twist Your Tongue with Flavor
    While I was at the inaugural Atlanta Food & Wine Festival a few weeks ago, I attended a demo by Donald Link, on the topic of working wit...

Category

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler

Labels

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler
© 2017 Foodpedia Official | All rights reserved
Created By Responsive Blogger Templates