Foodpedia Official

Asian Cuisine Side Dish Vegetables

Sweet Corn, Shiitake Mushroom and Arugula Saut� � Why does it taste like truffles?

Wednesday, August 15, 2007 By TheRocky 0 Comments
Before I get into this recipe, and how it came to be, we have to talk about a somewhat shocking ingredient choice I made. Yes, in the middle of summer, I filmed an amazingly delicious sweet corn recipe�and used frozen corn! I already had the shiitake mushrooms and arugula for this dish, and was just about to go out and get some delicious fresh, just picked, sweet corn at the local produce market when I made the mistake of opening the freezer.

There it was, a bag a sweet corn. It had been in there for a while, so I was sure it was freezer-burned and I would just chuck it out and go. Unfortunately, I checked it and it was fine. Damn. I thought I better taste it; it�s probably not sweet. It was really sweet. Damn. So I decided to be a good, frugal Chef and use it for this recipe. The good news for you is this was so delicious with frozen corn, I can only imagine how incredible it�s going to be with freshly shucked corn!

I had this combo as a side vegetable recently and found it a very interesting combination of flavors. The earthy mushrooms, sweet corn, and slightly bitter Arugula mixed wonderfully together. In fact, as I enjoyed it with some grilled chicken, I kept smelling and tasting truffles. There was something about these three ingredients that combined to produce a truffle like flavor profile. Maybe my molecular gastronomy friends can explain why this was.

I realize that shiitake and truffles are both fungi, but it was more than that. In any case, it was really good, and I�m sure you are going to enjoy this simple and tasty vegetable dish. You vegetarians can add vegetable stock instead of chicken of course. On the other end of the spectrum, you omnivores may want to think about starting this with a little bit of bacon, before adding the mushrooms. Either way, enjoy!



Ingredients:
2 cups fresh corn
2 cups sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms
large handful of arugula
1 clove garlic
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
1 tbl olive oil
1/2 tsp butter
salt and pepper to taste
Asian Cuisine
Share:

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna.

Related Articles


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home

Popular Posts

  • Chicken, Sausage, Peppers, and Potatoes � Name That Dish!
    It�s kind of nice when the name of a recipe is simply what�s in it, as is the case with this pan of roasted chicken, sausage, peppers, and p...
  • How to Make Berbere Spice and What to Do with It (Partial List)
    I love berbere spice, but it never occurred to me to make my own. I usually get it pre-mixed from the fancy grocery store, and it�s never di...
  • �Gazpacho Verde� with Burrata Cheese � Swampy, in a Good Way
    I�m not crazy about the name for this recipe, but I honestly didn�t know what else to call it, and I blame Twitter for that. Allow me to exp...
  • Homemade Sriracha � A Hot Sauce Worth Crowing About!
    If I had a dollar for every �I can�t find Sriracha, what can I use instead?� email I�ve received, I could eat at every Thai restaurant in to...
  • Cider-Braised Pork Cheeks � Eating with a Grin
    Sometimes when I�m really bored, I�ll sit around trying to think up fake Mark Twain food quotations. For example, �The best beef stew I ever...
  • Heading South to Tri Tip Nirvana
    We're just about to leave for Santa Maria, California for a weekend expedition to research and report on this area's famous (borderl...
  • Thai-Dipped Beef Tri Tip � Satay, Unskewered
    There are so many examples of big foods being re-imagined into smaller, bite-sized versions, but going the other direction is not nearly as ...
  • Black Pepper Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Black Cherry Reduction
    This succulent dish has all the things I love in a recipe; an easy piece of meat to work with, a super simple sauce that tastes like somethi...
  • Fried Peanut Butter & Jelly Pinchy Pies � One Chef's White Trash is Another's White Treasure
    I was doing some research on shrimp toast for an upcoming video, and I became obsessed with the thought of frying things on white bread, whi...
  • Grilled Halibut Steaks with Corn and White Chanterelles � Finally, a More Fashionable "Surf and Turf"
    Excuse me for generalizing, but whenever I hear the term, "surf and turf," I think of a small bland filet mignon sitting next to a...

Labels

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK

TAGS

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler
Powered by Blogger.

Text widget

Contributors

TheRocky
View my complete profile

Popular Posts

  • Chicken, Sausage, Peppers, and Potatoes � Name That Dish!
    It�s kind of nice when the name of a recipe is simply what�s in it, as is the case with this pan of roasted chicken, sausage, peppers, and p...
  • How to Make Berbere Spice and What to Do with It (Partial List)
    I love berbere spice, but it never occurred to me to make my own. I usually get it pre-mixed from the fancy grocery store, and it�s never di...
  • �Gazpacho Verde� with Burrata Cheese � Swampy, in a Good Way
    I�m not crazy about the name for this recipe, but I honestly didn�t know what else to call it, and I blame Twitter for that. Allow me to exp...
  • Homemade Sriracha � A Hot Sauce Worth Crowing About!
    If I had a dollar for every �I can�t find Sriracha, what can I use instead?� email I�ve received, I could eat at every Thai restaurant in to...
  • Cider-Braised Pork Cheeks � Eating with a Grin
    Sometimes when I�m really bored, I�ll sit around trying to think up fake Mark Twain food quotations. For example, �The best beef stew I ever...
  • Heading South to Tri Tip Nirvana
    We're just about to leave for Santa Maria, California for a weekend expedition to research and report on this area's famous (borderl...
  • Thai-Dipped Beef Tri Tip � Satay, Unskewered
    There are so many examples of big foods being re-imagined into smaller, bite-sized versions, but going the other direction is not nearly as ...
  • Black Pepper Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Black Cherry Reduction
    This succulent dish has all the things I love in a recipe; an easy piece of meat to work with, a super simple sauce that tastes like somethi...
  • Fried Peanut Butter & Jelly Pinchy Pies � One Chef's White Trash is Another's White Treasure
    I was doing some research on shrimp toast for an upcoming video, and I became obsessed with the thought of frying things on white bread, whi...
  • Grilled Halibut Steaks with Corn and White Chanterelles � Finally, a More Fashionable "Surf and Turf"
    Excuse me for generalizing, but whenever I hear the term, "surf and turf," I think of a small bland filet mignon sitting next to a...

Category

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler

Labels

  • African Cuisine
  • Appetizer
  • Asian Cuisine
  • Barbecue
  • Beef
  • Blog News
  • Breads
  • Breakfast
  • Candy
  • Cheese
  • Chicken
  • Chocolate
  • Cookies
  • Dessert
  • Dips
  • Dressings
  • Drinks
  • Duck
  • Eggs
  • French Cuisine
  • Fruit
  • German Cuisine
  • Goose
  • Grains
  • Grill Recipes
  • Italian Cuisine
  • Lamb
  • Latin Food
  • Legumes
  • Mediterranean Cuisine
  • Mexican Food
  • Pasta
  • Pie
  • Pizza
  • Pork
  • Potato
  • Reader Poll
  • Rice
  • Salads
  • Sandwiches
  • Sauces
  • Seafood
  • Side Dish
  • Soups
  • Spanish Cuisine
  • Spicy
  • Stews
  • Tips and Techniques
  • Turkey
  • Vegetables
  • Weekend Filler
© 2017 Foodpedia Official | All rights reserved
Created By Responsive Blogger Templates